The flight from New York is early! Just when I want it to be late. So I don’t get to stay in the United States for a little longer.
I have one hour until my next flight leaves and I have a bit of a walk to the departure gate. I could wait for a ride to the gate but considering the time that I will be on my arse over the next number or hours, the walk is very much in need. I don’t have time for duty free shopping but that doesn’t really bother me too much.
The flight from San Francisco to Sydney is expected to take about 14 hours. We leave on Sunday night 2 September at 9pm (1am Monday in New York). Arrival time in Sydney is Tuesday morning 4 September at 6am – a time difference of 33 hours. The flight feels like it is 33 hours long, not 14.
The flight is however made more enjoyable/bearable by the company of two lovely and friendly women who are seated next to me and the head flight attendant who has taken a shine to us. We are given special attention by this flight attendant who opens a bottle of bubbles for us after dinner and continues to replenish our glasses until we say no more please. He also shows us photos of his home town in Lebanon and provides a little bit of history of his home. Another time he shares an email that he has received. He’s been sent an article by John Cleese called “World Alerts to Threats“. It’s something my dad would have liked and considering it is/was father’s day at home, he is in my thoughts.
I also look over the list I started on the last night in New York.
BIG in San Francisco
BIG in New York
- Outside spaces
- Food serves
I wonder what kind of list Adelaide would have?
And here are the lists of what I need to go back to do.
- More time in Sausalito
- Muir Woods
- Napa Valley
- Yosemite National Park
- Visit Alcatraz (book a couple of months beforehand)
- More time in Golden Gate Park
- California Academy of Sciences
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA)
- Palace of Fine Arts and Exploratorium
- Spend more time exploring the city
- Fisherman’s Wharf and Pier 39
- Walking the Barbary trail
- Lunch/dinner/cocktails at the Waldorf Astoria
- a broadway show
- Go back to The Duplex piano bar (fun place)
- Walk more of the city
- Hire a car and go to Ithaca and eat at Moosewood Restaurant (on a Sunday), visit wineries around the finger lakes
- Walk part of the Appalachian trail
Other places to visit (by car in my own time – no bus tours)
- Boston (to visit properly)
- Portland, Maine
- Quebec, Canada
As my ankles gradually disappear and my shoes get tighter, the hours pass. Unlike on the journey to the US, I manage to get some sleep, I think the bubbles helped. 🙂